Renowned Malayalam poet Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri was conferred with the Jnanpith award at Kumaranellur here on Thursday.
Akkitham is the 6th Malayalam writer to receive the award. The ceremony was held at his residence ‘Devayanam’ adhering to COVID protocol.
Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the meeting via online. Minister A K Balan handed over the honour to Akkitham on behalf of the CM. As COVID restrictions prevailed, only 50 people attended the event.
Akkitham was selected for the 55th Jnanpith award announced in 2019, at the age of 93. The award includes a cash prize of Rs 11 lakh and a bronze sculpture of Goddess Saraswati. This is the second time, Jnanpith award is brought to Kumaranellur. Earlier, the award was received by M T Vasudevan Nair, who hails from the same place, in 1995.
Akkitham, a native of Palakkad, has penned over 43 works in Malayalam. ‘Irupatham Noottandinte Ithihasam’ is his major work. He was honoured with Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of the Government of India in 2017. He also won a number of awards including Kendra and Kerala Sahitya Akademi Awards and Ezhuthachan Puraskaram.
Akkitham is a famous writer in the Malayalam poetry world. He was born in 1926 and his full name is Akkitham Achuthan Namboodri but he is popularly known as Akkitham. He was interested in literature and art since childhood. Apart from poetry, Akkitham has also written plays and novels. His most of the poetry works have a unique prophetic character. He predicts a range of socio-political developments in his poetry. Akkitham is famous for showing modernity through his poetry.
Akkitham’s Works and Awards
• Akkitham’s poems combine Indian philosophical and social values which are like a bridge between modernity and tradition.
• He has written 55 books so far and 45 are poetry collections among them.
• He has translated works of other Indian languages. His one of the most famous Poetry book is Irupdam Nootandidae Itihasam is quite popular among his readers.
• Some of his famous books are – “Khand Kavya”, “Katha Kavya”, “Charitra Kavya” and lyrics.
• Some of his famous works include “Veeravadam”, “Balidarshanam”, “Nimisha Kshetram”, “Amrita Khatika”, “Akkhitam Kavitakhaka”, “Epic of Twentieth Century” and “Antimkalam”.
• Akkitham has conferred with the Padma Shri. He has also been honoured with the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1973, the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in 1972 and the Kerala Sahitya Academy Award in 1988 and the Kabir Samman.